One of the most hectic times of the year to travel is during the holidays. But, this year, you can rest easy because we’ve got several tips you can use that will make traveling just a little less stressful.
- Book your travel as far in advance as possible. If you are waiting until the last minute you could be risking the loss of the cheapest and most convenient accommodations.
- Arrive everywhere early. Arrive at the airport, train station, bus station, cruise ship, etc… at least two to three hours before your departure.
- Three words- early check in!
- Bring snacks if you’re flying- No, you can’t bring drinks from home, but yes, you can bring snacks on board. Some trains, buses and cruise ships also allow snacks, but check their policies ahead of time. Why bring snacks? Nothing is more stressful than trying to travel while hungry!
- If traveling with children, bring entertainment! Whether this means tablets loaded with games, activity books or a portable DVD player- an entertained child is a quiet child. Oh, and do everyone a favor and make sure you bring headphones too so you won’t be that family that is making too much noise.
- Don’t carry too much cash or valuables, and certainly don’t put either on display. This can make you an easy target for thieves and getting robbed is highly stressful!
- Bring all medications you may need for your trip along with information on local pharmacies should you need additional meds while traveling.
- Make extra copies of travel documents including passports, transportation tickets, directions to the hotel, etc…
- Write down credit card numbers and emergency phone numbers on a piece of paper that you keep with your valuables.
- Try not to wait until last minute to pack either. This almost guarantees you will forget something.
- Keep an eye on weather reports for delays and canceled travel itineraries.
- Avoid traveling on major holidays. If you are hoping to get somewhere in time for a special occasion, book your arrival time prior to the big day.
What are your best travel tips to avoid stress during the holidays? Leave a comment below and tell us about it!